As Victoria’s in-service vehicle standards mirror the Australian Design Rule requirements this decision means that LED light bars can be fitted to vehicles in Victoria. Constraints remain on the fitment of LED light bars, so any LED light bar that is fitted must be installed in alignment with the following requirements:
- The lamps should, as far as is possible, be installed symmetrically in pairs to the front of the vehicle.
- If lamps are not fitted as pairs (e.g. one, three etc), they must be fitted to the front of the vehicle, symmetrically about the centre.
- A maximum of four driving lamps (including LED light bars) can be fitted to a vehicle in addition to the vehicle’s main beam headlamps.
- The lamp/s must be installed in a way that the light produced does not cause the driver of the vehicle discomfort either directly or by reflection.
- The lamp/s must only come on when the main-beam (high beam) headlamps are used, and must automatically turn off when the main-beam headlamps are turned off.
- The lamps must not obstruct the driver’s view of the road.